April 12, 2015

THE RE-INVENTION.......

Elated. That's the word. The word that best describes how I feel. Good feeling, they say, is the beginning of good things. So when General Muhamadu Buhari was declared winner, I was elated. I was so happy I could have hugged the closest transformer without even knowing. Ok that’s a metaphor.
No, I wasn't one of those that monitored the election result through complicated excel sheets. You see en, I'm not that good with excel other than the basics I need to perform at work. But I did monitor through complicated excel sheets designed by colleagues at work. With the way I was made to feel bad that I couldn’t design complicated excel sheets, I penned Excel training down as one I had to attend soon. HR better be reading this. Lol.
Luckily, my office has a dedicated schedule for trainings like this. So come next general elections, no bagger will #buga me. Shame I’ll have to wait four years to demonstrate my newly acquired excel skills. I'm hoping we won't be voting #Sai Buhari out then or clamoring to do so. The angst against #Jonathan was so much it had become hatred in some quarters. People were just tired; I was too.
For me, #Sai Buhari wasn’t a natural choice but he was the better choice given the circumstances foisted on Nigerians. I wonder what the KOWA woman was thinking. That she stood a chance of winning? No?
However, winning isn’t all that #Sai Buhari will deal with. Success, they say, comes at a price. He has to deal with not ending up as an anticlimax. He doesn’t want to do that to Nigerians; what with the massive support he received home and abroad. The way the earlier perception of #Sai Buhari as a cruel military administrator was doused and he was turned into the better choice was incredible. 
David Axelrod was just the man for that job; the job of convincing the massive citizenry of Nigeria and making #Sai Buhari a better choice than #Oga Jonathan. The question remains that would #Sai Buhari have won this election without the Axelrod and Obama angle? Methinks Axelrod improved #Sai Buhari’s chance by far greater than in the last twelve years he had been contesting.
No doubt, Insecurity (Boko haram), economic downtown and massive corruption already made Jonathan a poor and horrible choice. This was probably the undoing of PDP. They underestimated these issues and the power of the Axelrod connection or maybe they didn’t just give enough credence to it. Jonathan had always been one to throw money at every problem just like he did with the elections. Maybe Jonathan would write a book on this sometimes later to give us some clarity on how it all went down.
By the way, David Axelrod was the man behind Obama winning the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections in America. He was the Chief Strategist and Media Advisor to Obama’s Campaign. His firm – AKPD Message and Media - was hired as a consultant by the APC campaign team.
So I came across The Time's list of books one needs to have read to be labeled well read here. Well, I haven't read any book on the list apart from Chinua Achebe’s Things Fall Apart. In a bid to feel more well read, I went out and bought myself another Wole Soyinka (WS) and books from two writers on the list.
I wondered why Soyinka is not even on that list. The Man Died should have sufficed. Anyways, I'm an ardent follower of WS. And yes, I have been engaged in an argument of who is a better writer between Wole and Chinua. Guess who I chose? Yes you are damn right. Wole Soyinka.  
So it’s been really hectic. And it took the emergence of #Sai Buhari as President elect of Nigeria to get me out of my shell. More like writer's block induced by less time and more mental stress from work. No doubt, I love my work; its just taking me away from other things I love doing.  But I’m working my way back to the old me though. I’m not a hooligans yet. #Tesojue.
As I wind down, one question comes to mind: How will PDP fare as an opposition party? Will they be as intellectual and formidable as the APC? Or are we on our way to becoming a One party state all over again? Time will tell as the Nigerian nation re-invents itself.
See you again soon.
Foye.

No comments: